Friday, August 20, 2010

The 15 Greatest Films of All Time (part 1)

I've decided to list what I think are the greatest films of all time. Mind you, I haven't seen every film ever made. And all of these are English-language films. And the list is governed by my own personal tastes. But I think I've chosen films generally thought of by the public and the critics to be culturally significant and hugely entertaining. The list is in alphabetical order because I think ranking them would be rather pointless considering they're all pretty different.

American Psycho (2000; Mary Harron)
*Christian Bale, Chloe Sevigny and Reese Witherspoon
Seriously, what other film could be equally disturbing and hilarious? I think that's what gives this movie its rich texture--it's not a bland serial killer thriller nor is it a relentless satire of 80s America. The movie really allows us to get inside the sick minds of the characters by having such a mixed tone. We identify with them as much as we're repulsed by them. Plus the performances from the entire cast are nothing short of extraordinary.
Casablanca (1942; Michael Curtiz)
*Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman and Paul Henreid
Every "classic" film runs the risk of being deemed "overrated" (God, I hate that word) by today's audience. But I really think that Casablanca has aged well in the last 68 years. The romance is just as passionate, the screenplay is just as clever and the themes are just as resonant as they ever were. While Bogart may have the flashy lines, Bergman really steals the show with a subtle, tender performance. And about every line has become iconic. In fact, an entire episode of Frasier was built around the "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship" line.
Gone with the Wind (1939; Victor Fleming)
*Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable and Leslie Howard
When I first saw this film three years ago, I wondered how the Rhett-Scarlett love story could be considered one of the greatest screen romances ever, considering Scarlett chases after the wimpy and very "un-Clark-Gable" Ashley almost the entire film. But then, as I got older, it clicked. And I saw this film for the enormous screen achievement it was (and still is today). Though it runs at about 4 hours, it's an absolutely riveting look at post-Civil War America--a desperate, confused, bitter and proud America. The love/hate relationship between Rhett and Scarlett can't be explained--it just is a very passionate, complicated romance.
Goodfellas (1990; Martin Scorsese)
*Ray Liotta, Lorraine Bracco and Joe Pesci
I'm as surprised as the next guy that I love this gangster flick as much as I do. I mean--it's a gangster flick! But I think what makes Goodfellas so different from your American Gangster and your The Departed is that Scorsese allows for the Bracco character to not just be a suffering wife stereotype. She's just as twisted as the rest of them. The intelligent screenplay, revolutionary direction, perfect soundtrack and amazing cast don't hurt things either. Scorsese allows the film the breathe and he neither glorifies nor judges the violence--he just lets it happen.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004; Alfonso Cuaron)
*Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson
A lot of people like to whine about how the third "Harry Potter" movie leaves a lot of information from the book out of the film. My response is: who cares?! The film is a visual treat; Curaon's introduces some very beautiful and dark imagery into the world of Harry Potter. The film is a remarkable cinematic achievement because unlike Goblet of Fire (which is rather bland) and Sorcerer's Stone (which is too childish), it retains the spirit of the novel without being empty of any directorial flourish.

Look out for "The 15 Greatest Films of All Time parts 2 & 3!!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job MM. I agree with the ones you've listed so far. Can't wait to see the rest.

B Mosi said...

Manu, Again I have not seen any of these movies. I am far behind the group. But I will put them on my list to watch one day. Your blog makes me wish I could watch movies more often. Thanks for the update.

Anonymous said...

I too am way behind in seeing these movies! I will quickly add them to my list for renting! Have you considered writing to these producers and writers (no matter how old they may be now) to let them know what you think? I hear the more letters you send, the more likely you will be noticed! Someone out there needs to start accrediting your work! Great work!

Rachna said...

I agree with the anonymous comment about sending your reviews to directors/producers..who knows, they could put it on the movie's official website or something?!

anyways, ive only seen the harry potter movie on this list, so i'll joint B Mosi in watching the rest of them soon :)

Anonymous said...

I need to join B Mosi and Rach jiji for a movie-watching session. I really, really want to see Gone with the Wind and Casablanca...so I will put those at the top of my list! I love how you write, it makes it effortless for the reader. You are brilliant!!!