Tuesday, March 22, 2016

7 Things I Want from BATMAN V. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

As I am sure you are all aware, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice comes out this Friday. My excitement level is at a solid medium. The movie is a big question mark regarding quality, box office potential, and longevity within the pop culture landscape. Man of Steel doesn't have the best reputation so the DC Extended Universe is really riding on this movie to be what The Avengers was for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (but without the groundwork laid by the MCU's Phase 1). All in all, there are 7 things I want from BvS, but I'm not quite sure if I'll get them.

1. Some humor, perhaps?
Would it hurt this movie too much to offer some genuine levity, some quippy character moments, and real laughs? Considering the melodramatic title, there's a chance this movie could be oppressively grim but I hope the film finds time to have some fun. Because then the movie will have a longer shelf life.
2. Wonder Woman done properly
I'm no expert on Wonder Woman, but I do know that she is iconic and stands for a lot of ideals I hold close. So I just want the movie to treat her well and give her an actual character. Wonder Woman has a solo movie coming out, the first solo movie for a lady superhero since 2005.This movie better lay proper groundwork for that movie!
3. Ben Affleck playing a great Batman
Early buzz for the movie indicates that this wish will come true. I've heard that he does a great job in the role. Ben Affleck is a good actor, and I think he could bring something new to a character played by Christian Bale, Michael Keaton, Adam West, among others. Affleck was ridiculed when he took on the role, so it would be another instance of casting that turned out to be perfect even with major skepticism.

4. Fight choreography that's comprehensibly edited, exciting, and emotionally interesting
It's easy for these larger than life action movies to become stale and meaningless, because too much attention is paid to the effects and not the emotions. I love good effects, but I love characters more. I want there to be stakes--real, emotional stakes--in the action. And please, no shaky cam. That's the one thing I cannot stand in action movies.
5. Henry Cavill being charming
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. is not a good movie, but it did have an electric cast. Henry Cavill, along with co-stars Armie Hammer, Alicia Vikander, and Elizabeth Debicki, got to be cool, charming, lively, vibrant. The guy can do it--just see his work on Showtime's The Tudors. I want some of that coolness to come through in his performance as Superman. In Man of Steel, he was so conflicted and brooding, the movie lost some of its fun (see #1 above).

6. An individual visual design
I'm not the biggest Zack Snyder fan--in fact, I think he's better as a director who doesn't write his own scripts--but I will say that I like most of the visuals in his movies. So I'm hoping that BvS isn't just a rehash of the Man of Steel look. I found that film to have an over serious color palette. BvS should have a more distinct look. It seems like BvS might course correct some of the mishaps from Man of Steel, and I hope that includes visual design.
7. Leans into the homoeroticism 
I mean, come on, look at that photo! I think the film could benefit--especially by way of levity--by leaning into the inherent homoerotic nature of two hunky guys in elaborate costumes locked in conflict. I'm not saying that Bats and Supes should resolve their differences through a heavy make-out session--though I'd love to see the homophobic fanboys react to that. But the movie should embrace its queer potential. On the other hand, I'm not sure I trust these guys to pull off that kind of thing with any subtlety or dignity.

At the end of the day, I just want this movie to be good. What do you want from Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice?

Like what you read? Please like my blog at Facebook.com/MathurMarquee. Also, follow me on Twitter @HippogriffRider. Agree? Disagree? Sound off in the comments below!

No comments: